Posted on December 17 2015
By: Marie Kimberly Lim
From its signature Epi, Alma and Neverfull collections, among many others to the all-time favorite Speedys, Louis Vuitton is definitely a part of every bag lover’s collection. Unfortunately, because of the advancement of technology and the availability of information, counterfeits are everywhere! Imitation schemes are so good that it has become almost impossible to spot the difference between a real and a fake Louis Vuitton.
Good thing Flo & Oli from Reloved’s authenticating team are here to help teach you how to spot a fake Louis Vuitton Speedy bag.
5 Details to spot in an LV Speedy:
- Going downwards diagonally, the pattern should be: LV ⇒ Fleur – de - Lis ⇒ Circle ⇒ Fleur – de – Lis ⇒ LV
- The pattern going across should be: Inverse ⇒ Circle ⇒ Inverse ⇒ Circle…
- Check if there’s a mirror image across the zipper
2) Monogram Pattern
- Upside down LV on the backside of the bag
- There should never be a seam at the bottom of the bag because LV uses only 1 piece of continuous leather
3) Stitching & Handles
- 5 stitches on the handles
- Stitches should have a Yellow-Mustard color
- Handles darken over time because the cowhide leather oxidizes
- There should be a Burgundy Red trim (NOT bright Red lipstick color!)
- Should be brass plated
- Turns Bronze over time
- Formation of Greenish hues around the hardware over time
5) Date Coding
- Indicate the Country Code, Week & Year made
Flo’s final tips:
Telling the difference between a real and a fake Louis Vuitton has become very difficult these days. Sometimes, only the smell of the leather can actually differentiate a real one from a counterfeit. Remember, be a smart buyer! If the price is too good to be true, you should be very cautious. As long as you are observant of the 5 details, you should be alright when shopping for Louis Vuitton. See more Louis Vuitton bags and many other luxury bags at reloved.ava.ph
Watch the whole video below to see Flo & Oli authenticate!